Memorial Day 2012 will be celebrated throughout the borough with a variety of events and observances. Times and locations were provided Patch user Kathy Eck.
Graveside Memorial Day Services will be conducted by the Macungie V.F.W. Memorial Post No. 9264 and the Veterans of the Vietnam War Post No. PA 75 at the following locations:
* 10 a.m. -- St. Peters Union Church Cemetery
* 11 a.m. -- Macungie Fairview Cemetery
* 11:55 a.m. -- Solomon's Church Cemetery
* 12:45 p.m. -- Old Zionsville Zion's Lutheran Church Cemetery
* 1:55 p.m. -- Bethany United Methodist Cemetery
* 8:30 a.m. -- Flag Raising and Placing of Wreath Ceremony will take place at the Macungie Memorial Park Veteran's Memorial.
* 10 a.m. -- The Macungie Memorial Day Parade will begin at the William A. Shoemaker Elementary School. This year's parade route follows East Main Street (PA Route 100) from Fairview Street to the Macungie Memorial Park Bandshell.
* 10:30 a.m. -- The 64th Annual Macungie Memorial Day Program will be conducted at the Park Bandshell. The guest speaker is Captain Samuel A. Johnson, USMC, director and co-founder of Keystone Wounded Warriors, a nonprofit corporation that seeks to honor the daily sacrifices made by the brave men and women in all branches of the United States Military, specifically those wounded on or after September 11, 2001. There will also be a VFW sponsored Patriot’s Pen essay presentation by eighth-grade student Mackenzie Ritter of Alburtis. Miss Ritter earned the Pennsylvania state champion title out of 9,717 student writers who expressed their thoughts about, “Are You Proud of Your Country?”
* Noon -- A Memorial Service will be held at the Lehigh-Northampton Vietnam Veterans Memorial, 287 Lehigh Street, Macungie. All are invited to remain for free refreshments following the Memorial Service.
In the event of rain, the parade will be cancelled and the Memorial Day Services will be held in the Macungie Memorial Park auditorium, 50 Poplar Street, Macungie at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, please call 610-965-0372.