The beverage Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster has been removed from sale at because some consumers who are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts have reported severe allergic reactions after consumption, according to a press release.
Odwalla, Inc. ordered the recall and Giant removed the product from its shelves because the cause of the reactions has not yet been determined.
The following product is affected by this recall:
- Odwalla Chocolate Protein Monster, 12 oz., UPC 1405413509
- "Use By" date is prior to and including May 23, 2012
The product should be thrown away or brought to any Giant. A full refund is available with a receipt of purchase.
Symptoms of food allergies usually appear within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten a food to which they are allergic.
Reactions can include:
- Flushed skin or rash
- Tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth
- Face, tongue or lip swelling
- Vomitting and/or diarrhea
- Abdominal cramps
- Coughing or wheezing
- Dizziness and/or lightheadedness
- Swelling of the throat and vocal cords
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
For more information, call Giant's customer service line at 1-888-814-4268 or Odwalla customer service at 1-877-497-7755.