By Daryl Nerl
Twenty people, including member of the Emmaus Ice Hockey team, were taken to area hospitals Saturday night after carbon monoxide inside the Steel Ice Center in South Bethlehem rose to dangerously high levels, rendering at least one person unconscious, according to published reports.
Spectators were watching an amateur hockey game and others were in the bar and restaurant area when Bethlehem first responders were called to the scene before 6:30 p.m., according to The Express Times.
A number of the people who needed hospitalization were members of the Emmaus ice hockey team, according to a Twitter feed called Emmaussports.com. All the players were treated and released from Easton and St. Luke's hospitals Saturday night and were scheduled to play hockey against Parkland Sunday, according to the feed.
The Bethlehem Fire Department cleared the building for re-opening Sunday, according to the center's website.
Nineteen of the people who were taken to four area hospitals Saturday were children, according to The Morning Call.
The carbon monoxide level inside the facility at 320 E. First St. rose to a “dangerous” 300 parts per million, according to the newspaper, which quoted William Guth, the city’s emergency management services supervisor.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration limits long-term exposure to no more than 50 parts per million. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is very toxic to humans and animals.