Lower Mac Dryer Fire Quickly Extinguished

Lint in a vent is the suspected source, causing only minimal damage, chief says.

Fire officials suspect that burning lint in a clothes dryer vent ignited a small fire in a Lower Macungie Township residence Sunday morning, but little damage was done.

The fire was reported at 9:55 a.m. at 5641 N. Walnut St. The fire was isolated to the vent, according to Lower Macungie Fire Chief David Nosal. He said there was no damage to the dryer or the surrounding area of the wall and termed damage minimal.

Responding were Lower Macungie and Macungie fire departments and Macungie EMS.

Mary Terp (Ebby) February 20, 2012 at 01:31 PM
I really want to get our dryer vent cleaned. I almost had a service come out to do it, but they were really scammy - they were a whole house duct cleaning company. At the last moment I backed out. Consumer reviews for this sort of company are very bad. Has anyone else had their dryer vent cleaned or done it themselves? Recommendations?
MS February 20, 2012 at 01:44 PM
They sell these long wands with bristles attached that you can reach in the vent and gather any loose lint, we use one and go in both end of the vent.
Carl W February 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Scary one.....good thing they called for mutual aid - coulda' lost a sweater !!!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »