Lower Macungie Township will hold a Document Shredding and Electronic Recycling Day on Sept. 17 in the parking lot of the and community center.
The event is for residents of Lower Macungie Township only.
Announcing the event this much in advance will allow people time to gather everything and make arrangements to transport it, said Township Manager Bruce Fosselman.
The free document shredding event is limited to one carload per household, he said, and is designed to help residents reduce identity theft. It also promotes recycling.
Participants will be able to view their documents being shredded on-site. Staples, rubber bands, folders, paper clips, etc. need not be removed prior to shredding, he said.
The electronic recycling event is sponsored by the township, Lower Macungie Environmental Advisory Council and Advanced Green Solutions.
Fees will be charged for some items for the recycling cost of hazardous or data sensitive material:
- Telephones/cell phones - no charge
- Keyboards/mice - no charge
- Cables and cords- no charge
- LCD monitors - $2
- dehumidifiers - $20
- televisions - $20
- stereos and speakers - $2
- computer monitors - $7
- printers/fax machines - $2
- floor copiers - $5
- small appliances - $2
- air conditioners -$20
- DVD players, VCRs, microwaves - $2
- lithium batteries -- $4/lb
- desktop/laptop computers - $2
- non PCB ballast - 30 cents/lb
- hard drive destruction w/certification - $7
- alkaline and lead acid batteries - $1/lb
- shatter shields/coated lamps -- $1.75 each
- halogen and incandescent lamps - 50 cents each
- straight lamps (1-4-foot - 75 cents each, 5-8-foot) - $1.25 each
- U tubes, circular lamps, compact lamps - 75 cents each