Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Neighbor calls 911 to report that house next door is on fire, according to emergency radio transmissions.
A family of three escaped a Lower Macungie Township house fire uninjured on Tuesday night, but three pets were affected and a fourth pet, at last word, was still missing, according to a fire official. Volunteers from Lower Macungie Fire Department and Trexlertown were called 1199 Tee Court at 9:41 p.m. A caller in the Shepherd Hills development reported a neighbor's house was on fire, according to emergency scanner transmissions. The first Lower Macungie Fire Department officer to arrive reported heavy smoke coming from the home. He later reported flames to the rear of the home climbing from the first floor and up the back of the two-story townhouse, the transmissions said. It took firefighters from Lower Macungie, Trexlertown and …
Monday, December 31, 2012
Twin home was engulfed with flames soon after initial reports, according to emergency transmissions. At least one person received smoke inhalation.
A two-alarm fire tore through a twin home in the eastern section of Emmaus early Monday, sickening at least one and badly damaging the two joined dwellings, according to emergency scanner transmissions. Fire was reported about 12:40 a.m. on the rear porch at 502 E. Main St., according to the transmissions. A second caller, from the Dalton Street side, quickly reported a fire to the rear as well. An Emmaus ambulance was summoned to tend to at least one smoke inhalation victim, according to another transmission, even before the second alarm was struck. The first arriving Emmaus firefighters requested a second alarm, bringing a tanker from Vera Cruz, a pumper from Western Salisbury and a Rapid Intervention Team from Alburtis, the latter to …
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Blaze around chimney was probably ignited by swift storm, fire chief says.
A probable lightning strike ignited a fire Saturday evening at a Lower Macungie home, according to the township's top fire officer. Township firefighters were called about 6:30 p.m. to investigate a natural gas odor at 4753 Yorkshire Drive in the Hidden Valley Farms development. Chief David Nosal arrived and reported flames coming from around the chimney. Firefighters extinguished the flames, but had to pull apart much of the siding and other construction materials to fully put out the fire. That took time and manpower, especially in the hot and humid temperatures. In all, Nosal called for assistance from departments from Western Salisbury, Emmaus, Trexlertown, Macungie, Alburtis and the cascade unit from Woodlawn to refill air bottles for…
Monday, May 21, 2012
Countryside "ice cream stand" -- a regional tradition for decades -- burned one year ago today.
Editor's Note: This story is Part I of a two-part feature on the blaze that gutted Countryside Restaurant one year ago today. Look for Part II tomorrow. The approach of Memorial Day and end to another school year traditionally have signaled the start of "Ice Cream Season" at Countryside Restaurant. For decades, a landmark overlooking Emmaus and Macungie where Routes 29 and 100 meet in Upper Milford Township, Countryside -- first known as Kressley's Cree-Mee-Freez -- was the quintessential roadside ice cream stand in our very midst. What's your favorite memory of Countryside Restaurant? Tell us in the comments. Patrons sat on benches or in the grass of the hillside overlooking the valley below as they licked at twirled soft ice cream and …
Friday, April 20, 2012
Two-alarm response eventually finds smoldering mulch as the source, fire officials say.
Firefighters from several western Lehigh County-area companies were called to a Fogelsville hotel early Friday evening following reports of smoke throughout the three-story building. The two-alarm fire, reported about 6 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn at 230 Sycamore Drive, turned out to be nothing more than the aftermath of burning mulch, according to Fogelsville Fire Chief Jacque Creamer. A fire that was attributed to a discarded cigarette was extinguished by hotel personnel about 30 minutes prior to dispatch. When the smoker opened the door to return to the hotel, smoke was sucked into the fire-proof stairwell and began to waft throughout the building, later prompting someone to pull a fire alarm, someone outside stated. Firefighters …
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Lint in a vent is the suspected source, causing only minimal damage, chief says.
Fire officials suspect that burning lint in a clothes dryer vent ignited a small fire in a Lower Macungie Township residence Sunday morning, but little damage was done. The fire was reported at 9:55 a.m. at 5641 N. Walnut St. The fire was isolated to the vent, according to Lower Macungie Fire Chief David Nosal. He said there was no damage to the dryer or the surrounding area of the wall and termed damage minimal. Responding were Lower Macungie and Macungie fire departments and Macungie EMS.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Homeowner gets out safely, but two pets die in Brookside Road blaze.
A fire with a quick headstart ravaged the interior of a Lower Macungie Township home on Saturday evening. With fire shooting out a front bow window upon his arrival, Chief David Nosal of the Lower Macungie Fire Department quickly called a second alarm at 6:38 p.m. Homeowner Sarah Anthony, the only occupant at 1450 Brookside Road, near Cornerstone Road, left the home on her own without injury, but her two cats perished. Nosal said the cause of the blaze remains under investigation, but the concentration of fire was in the front of the house. "The inside needs to be totally gutted," he said. "The vast majority of the living space was involved, whether it was by heat or smoke or fire." The arrival of the first pumper was important, Nosal said…