Thursday, December 29, 2011
Uncle John's offers quotes that make you laugh and make you think.
These are some of things I forget: phone numbers, faces, names and how to get somewhere unless I’ve been there at least three times. Here’s what I remember: stories and quotes. When I graduated from high school, my parents gave me a copy of “Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations” – the bible of quotation books. But it seemed to me there was nothing familiar about most of its quotes – they appeared to come from writers or dignitaries who were about a million years old – and spoke that way. After that I flirted with other books of quotations but never really fell for one until my kids got “Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader Colossal Collection of ‘Quotable’ Quotes.” As you might expect, the book is short on thee's and thou’s. To my knowledge, it’s the…
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Brining that turkey yet?
1. Weather: The National Weather Service forecast for our area says we have a 90 percent chance of rain today with a high near 49 degrees. 2. In Case You Missed It: The Lower Macungie Library raised $5,000 at its recent book sale. 3. Don't Forget: Today's the day to pick up your pies, filling and bacon dressing from the Trexlertown Grange. 4. Coming Up: Macungie is facing severe budge cuts for 2012. Council discussed raising taxes, lay-offs and severe curtailments in services at its meeting last night. Check back at 11 a.m. to read the story. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1963, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States, was assassinated while traveling through Dallas, Texas, in an open-top convertible.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Happy 54th wedding anniversary, Your Majesty!
1. Weather: Not quite as nice as yesterday. The National Weather Service forecast for our area says it will be cloudy with a high near 59 degrees. 2. In Case You Missed It: The 28th annual ABATE toy run ran into some red lights yesterday. 3. Quote of the Day: "Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -John F. Kennedy 4. Coming Up: Join our Moms Talk today at 2 p.m. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1947, in a lavish wedding ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, Princess Elizabeth married her distant cousin, Philip Mountbatten, a dashing former prince of Greece and Denmark who renounced his titles in order to marry the English princess.
Saturday, November 12, 2011
1. Weather: The National Weather Service forecast for our area says we'll have the perfect fall weekend day: sunny with a high near 57 degrees. 2. In Case You Missed It: If you're thinking of or remembering a Veteran, please leave your thoughts on The Wall. 3. Quote of the Day: "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." -John Fitzgerald Kennedy. 4. Coming Up: More Cheap Trips at 8 a.m. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1954, Ellis Island, the gateway to America, shut it doors after processing more than 12 million immigrants since opening in 1892. Today, an estimated 40 percent of all Americans can trace their roots through Ellis Island, located in New …
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
First and most important thing today: VOTE!
1. Weather: Take it easy on your way into work this orning. The National Weather Service forecast for our area says to expect fog before 8 a.m. After that, election day will be sunny with a high near 66 degrees. 2. In Case You Missed It: The Macungie Council race will be very interesting. 3. VOTE: Pennsylvania polls are open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. If you forget where your polling place is, you can find it here. 4. Coming Up: Lower Macungie Patch's voters guide. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1864, Northern voters overwhelmingly endorsed the leadership and policies of President Abraham Lincoln when they elect him to a second term. With his re-election, any hope for a negotiated settlement with the Confederacy vanished. And on this day in …
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Game, Set, Match, Grand Slam!
1. Weather: Scattered showers this morning, but the National Weather Service forecast for our area says there's a 40 percent chance of heavier showers this afternoon. The high will be near 80. 2. In Case You Missed It: Where were you when you heard the news about the Twin Towers 10 years ago? 3. Quote of the Day: "And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy 4. Coming Up: No need to run right out and see "Apollo 18." Check out Kelly-Anne Suarez's review at 8 a.m. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1962, Rod Laver defeated fellow Australian Roy Emerson in four sets to win the U.S. Open. With the victory, Laver became the first man to win the tennis "Grand Slam…
Monday, July 4, 2011
Happy 235th Birthday America!
1. Weather: We can expect to celebrate a hot sunny day today. The National Weather Service forecast for our area says we'll see 90 degrees. 2. In Case You Missed It: Bruce Frassinelli talks about an 82-year-old man who was asked to provide proof of age to buy beer. 3. Quote of the Day: "And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy 4. Coming Up: Tara Zrinski talks about the dangers of fireworks. 5. Today in History: Well, besides the obvious -- the signing of the Declaration of Independence 235 years ago -- on this day in 1826, by remarkable coincidence, both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson -- the second and third Presidents of the United States, respectively…
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Should be a beautiful day!
1. Weather: The National Weather Service forecast for our area says we should expect a partly sunny day with a high around 80 degrees. 2. In Cast You Missed It: Bites Nearby visited the Cold Stone Creamery. 3. Quote of the Day: "Trust your hunches. They're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level." Joyce Brothers 4. Coming Up: There are some questions surrounding the location chosen for Lehigh County's proposed Detox/Rehab Center. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1963, President John F. Kennedy expressed solidarity with democratic German citizens. In front of the Berlin Wall that separated the city into democratic and communist sectors, he declared to the crowd, "Ich bin ein Berliner" or "I am also a citizen of …
Friday, June 24, 2011
Almost the weekend...
1. Weather: Partly sunny and 80 degrees today, though the National Weather Service forecast for our area says there's a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms after 5 p.m. 2. In Case You Missed It: Area firefighters graduated Wednesday evening at the Lower Macungie Community Center. 3. Quote of the Day: "Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." Pete Seeger 4. Coming Up: Homes for sale in the Lehigh Valley. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1953, On this day in 1953, Jacqueline Bouvier and Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy publicly announced their engagement. Kennedy went on to become the 35th president and Jackie, as she was known, …