A band of Lehigh Valley firefighters is rallying to help a girl who lost her Great Dane and Christmas presents in a fire Dec. 31.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, January 5
After battling a Dec. 31 blaze that destroyed a duplex on E. Main Street in Emmaus that left two families homeless, the members of the Emmaus Fire Department decided they want to do something further to help the victims of the fire - Katherine and Gerald Maury and Jarred Goeppert and his 11-year-old daughter, Jada. In particular, the firefighters have focused their efforts on Jada, who was hospitalized for smoke inhalation, breathing with the help of a ventilator through Wednesday. Jada was injured in an effort to save her Great Dane. The dog died in the fire. The Emmaus firefighters have taken up a collection to buy Jada a new dog when she is ready, according to Lt. Bob Schwoyer of the Emmaus Fire Department. Plus, the firefighters have …
Emmaus Fire Department spearheads community effort to help two families left homeless following a Sunday night fire on Main Street in Emmaus.
Members of the Emmaus Fire Department met New Year's Eve to discuss plans to help two families who lost everything Sunday night when a raging fire that began on the rear porch of 502 E. Main St. destroyed their duplex in the borough. The families displaced from their home include an older couple, a man, a woman an a youngster. Capt. Matt Hahn of the Emmaus Fire Department contacted Emmaus Patch after the New Year’s Eve meeting to share initial details of the fire department’s planned relief efforts. According to Hahn, the department intends to open two bank accounts – one for each family – into which members of the community can deposit monetary donations. Since today is Jan. 1 and all banking institutions are closed, Hahn said that …